CRA-W and ComSoc Travel Grants for N2Women/WICE Workshop
These travel supports are to encourage and inspire women and minority in the field of communications and networking as well as to enable sharing scientific information and stimulating research interests. N2Women/WICE Workshop offers a number of travel grants for 1) people in early career and 2) students, on competition basis. The travel grants are to promote diversity of the workshop attendance.
Among the awardees, student participants will have complementary ICC registration through this grant (but not regarded an author registration).
Conditions for receiving an award are as follows:
- People from under-represented groups (women or other minority) who are early in their career (eg. PostDocs or people with less than 5 years since earning the latest degree), or students (graduate or undergraduate). Please indicate if the applicant is from under-represented groups (women or other minority). Authors of accepted ICC 2018 papers are allowed for this category.
- N2Women/WICE Workshop poster submission;
- Female ICC NSF student travel applicants may automatically be considered for this award. Other ICC NSF student travel grant applicants may explicitly apply for this too. However, multiple awards will not be given to an applicant.
- IEEE and ComSoc (student) membership status (Required only for IEEE ComSoc Grants); If you aren’t currently a ComSoc student member, you may still join and apply for a student travel grant. Please go to https://www.comsoc.org/membership/joincomsoc
In EDAS, your profile must also be configured to indicate that you’re a ComSoc member. In EDAS, go to My Profile -> Memberships , then use the + button to add ComSoc membership along with entering your membership number.
Each award is up-to $800 for domestic attendees and $1,500 for international attendees, subject to the travel reimbursement. A awardee must register and attend the workshop in person. Payment will only be made to the student as long as the award recipient submits the expense report (with receipts) within 45 days after the workshop. More details will be provided to the students who are selected to receive the N2Women/WICE award.
IEEE is committed to the principle that all persons shall have equal access to programs, facilities, services, and employment without regard to personal characteristics not related to ability, performance, or qualifications as determined by IEEE policy and/or applicable laws. For more information on the IEEE policy visit http://www.ieee.org/nondiscrimination/
HOW TO APPLY
The application should be submitted electronically via EDAS at https://edas.info/G.php?g=585.
The application must include the following:
- Applicant’s CV
- A half-to-one page letter including the following information,
- For early career applicants: the latest degree, year, institution;
- The list of conferences previously attended by the applicant;
- Citizenship information (for statistics, any nationality are eligible);
- Ethnicity and gender (for diversity statistics, used to broaden the participation of under-represented students);
- A motivation/need of the applicant to attend the workshop and how the workshop would impact his/her career attendance.
- For student applicants: A support letter from the student's advisor (the advisor can directly submit the reference letter on EDAS)
If the applicant is a student, the student's advisor letter should include:
- The date of enrollment at the PhD/Master/Bachelor program and the expected date for graduation;
- Confirmation that the student is enrolled with good standing;
- List of the conferences/workshops previously attended by the student;
- The suitability of the N2Women/WICE Workshop program to the student's research area;
- The strengths and potential contributions of the student;
- Availability of funds from other sources.
Note: Applicants are encouraged to make their travel plans without depending on award notification to ensure the lowest cost.
- Application deadline: April 13, 2018
- Acceptance notification: April 20, 2018
Additional Information: Please address any questions to the Student Travel Grant Chairs, Baek-Young Choi <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Dola Saha <email@example.com>, Michele Nogueira <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Ana García Armada <email@example.com> with mandatory title: “N2Women/WICE Travel Grant Question: Your Last Name”.